Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My favorite song when I was 14

was "Only happy when it rains" By Garbage. The entire Pink album (it's actually self-titled. I just like the pink fuzziness of it) totally blew my Catholic school skirt up. Shirley Manson was (and still is) fabulous with her red hair out of a bottle (what can I say? I have a thing for fake redheads)

Why oh why must you inform us of this?- You ask? Because I have reverted back to my 1995 music collection in which I so carefully stowed away under "Open at your own risk: suicidal thoughts may occur". (I associated my depression back then with the music I used to listen to and only allowed Tori Amos out of that box. But alas, my crazy thought process was wrong, per usual.) I can't believe I let all this amazing music get dusty for so long.

Anyway- Here are a few songs that are making me happy at the moment (12 years later):

* Dashboard and We've Got Everything -Modest Mouse
* Viva la Vida and Lost -Coldplay
* Punk Rock Princess -Something Corporate (which the lead singer is also the guy behind Jack's Mannequin. Sue me, I'm like 3 years too late on this knowledge)
* When Your Heart Stops Beating -Plus 44
* Dropped and Do the Panic -Phantom Planet
* Hallelujah and That's what you get -Paramore
* Cookie Jar- Gym Class Heroes
* Shut Up and Let me Go -The Ting Tings
* The Fortunate -Cartel
* Five colors in her hair -McFly


Let's not forget about my girls:

* Untouched and Hook Me Up -The Veronicas
* Pocket Full of Sunshine -Natasha Bedingfield
* Tears Dry on Their Own and You know I'm no good -Amy Winehouse
* You're so Gay and Mannequin -Katy Perry edited for Freddie Weddie.
* Stronger -Britney Spears
* It's Amazing -Jem
* Labels and Love -Fergie
* When I grow up -Pussycat Dolls (how did that get in there?! Not to be mixed up with the Garbage song which has the same name. . . but they both make me happy)


And to go full circle with the 90s alternative (the ones I'm willing to admit to):

* Zero and Bullets with Butterfly Wings -Smashing Pumpkins
* Anything and Everything from Sixteen Stone by Bush
* The Blue Album -Weezer

Now Go- Fill your lives with music that makes me happy.

Sorry, guys. If I write about anything heavier than what's in my ipod and making me happy, I might just lose my goddamn mind. . . well, what's left of it anyway. I. hate. my. life. today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could you hate your life today? It started with a conversation with me!

You forgot to list Katy Perry in that list. I am ashamed...

.Nicotine.Queen. said...

This was pre-AIM convo- and just because I love you does not mean I love my ainless life.

And honestly, I'm a little over Katy Perry. I still adore her, but her stuff is no longer in the forefront of my musical pleasure. Remember, I knew of her and rocked out before she got famous.

But to make you happy I will edit.

LuLu said...

Sorry you're having a bad day.. I love love love Garbage. I saw them and Smashing Pumpkins in concert. They were AWESOME!!

Holy Crappers said...

oh balls, never heard of garbage, only the garbage I have in my home. Shit, i guess i'm old.

#1