Thursday, July 3, 2008

I just got called a punk

and I so deserved it.

Is anyone out there with a Blackberry that knows how to silence a phone so that the caller doesn't know they are going to voicemail? My Razr was really good about just silencing the phone and letting it ring out like I wasn't around, in case at the last minute I changed my mind and decided I actually wanted to talk to the person.

I'm really bad about sending people to voicemail and up until now, it was a secret I was sending them to voicemail- or so I thought (obviously not from the voicemail I got this morning informing me I'm a punk for forwarding him to vmail- which actually made me laugh seeing as who it was coming from).

I feel like I should explain myself so your already tainted opinion of me is not tainted incorrectly. I hate the phone. I know, what? I'm supposed to be a girl, whatever. I hate holding the phone to my ear and I hate when the phone gets hot on my ear. I'm just damn lazy. I do have earphones for my phone, which I do use, but I feel like an idiot and I feel like I'm always yelling.

Plus, besides the physical aspect of it, I hate talking. Because I suck at keeping in touch with people generally when I do speak to them, it's a 20 minute conversation catching up- and I really hate that. Not that I don't want to know what's going on in my friends' lives, I just have to be mentally prepared to be on the phone for that long. And usually the opening line is "Holy Shit! You called me!" or "What the fuck? You actually answered the phone?" which turns into a 2-5 minute joke that gets old after awhile. How long have you been my friend? I am quite open about my crap job of being a friend. They know this already but apparently it never ceases to amaze them.

Send me an email or a text. I have AIM, Yahoo and Gchat, which I am on all day long, people. Facebook or Myspace me- lord knows I waste my days away on them. I'd be much more susceptible to pay attention. Unfortunately living in NY I don't have a car, which is where I did most of my conversing. The only time I want to call to bullshit is when I'm smoking; I only want to talk long enough for me to finish my cigarette and it usually it doesn't work like that.

So in the 2 seconds of "Beat It" (The FOB version, not the MJ one, is my ringtone. How cool is that?! Yea. I know it's gay but I love it!) it takes me to notice my phone ringing this is the run down that goes through my head before I immediately send the caller to voicemail:

a. Who is it? (usually many don't get passed this question. j/k!!. . . or am I?)
b. When was the last time I spoke to you? (was it recent? Do you have something to add to the previous convo? Do I really care about what you have to add? Has it been months? omg. this is going to be a dozy)
c. Where am I? Am I in a place I can talk?
d. Do I have the allotted time to talk? (Am I about to get in the subway? Go to bed? Watch a TV show that seems more interesting?)

If my mind does not give the correct answer to all of these questions in the 2 seconds it takes for me to hit the button- you lose, game over and they're getting the very boring and generic voicemail everyone makes fun of. And I'm sorry it has to be that way but that's just me- love me or hate me. (Sometimes I really don't know why so many people love me so damn much, but rock on.)

Anyway- in case anyone cares, the particular situation sparking this entry was because I was already in bed about to go to bed.

Funny story? This is a guy a few months ago I would forgo sleep to talk to and would never consider sending to vmail (I'd consider it a very large crush that I've seem to have since I met him). See how quick/ easy it is to fall out of my good graces? I put a new spin on the word fickle. seriously.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a trick most people need to know in order to get in touch with The Nicotine Queen ... just repeatedly call her until she answers. It works every time.

How do you think we have remaind friends-ish?

shoeaddict said...

This cracks me up. Sometimes I wanna tell people to just leave me the fuck alone. I wonder if I can leave that as my outgoing message? Hmmmm...

You have AIM? So do I. I'm Shoeaddict17. If you're interested.

.Nicotine.Queen. said...

Frederick [middle name] [last name]. That only works for you b/c you're crazier than I am and I know you'd keep calling.

Everyone else should strictly abide by the calling 2 times it's an emergency rule. Otherwise you're just crying wolf and you've ruined me answering forever.

Anonymous said...

Remind me NEVER to call you :()

peace
#2

LuLu said...

That has happened to me a couple of times but one time I actually thought I silenced it but answered it and said "What the f*** does she want? My sister was pissed! LOL!