Wednesday, September 17, 2008

On Wednesdays we wear pink

and I have every fucking shade of it on.

No lie. I went crazy in the pink department this morning. I was a little concerned about walking out of the house looking like a giant piece of bubble gum, but hey this is New York City. Kermit the Frog walks around Broadway daily (this woman is literally head to toe in green- including her hair. Now that I think about it she might be a Ninja Turtle. She always has this green backpack on. I would try to get a picture for proof, but you will just have to trust me. I can't be that tacky. Who am I to mock self expression?) So I did it- and no one took a double take, except I'm sure to see who the hell the Glamazon was (wearing heels today, too!). Of course I run into a co-worker as I'm smoking my morning cigarette who came over just to tell me how much my outfit brightened his day.



In other news, even if I am having trouble being patient and focusing, at least I can say meditation has helped out during the morning commute.

The subway was recockulously packed this fabulous morning. MTA blamed there sparse availability on a sick passenger but I'm blaming it on incompetent conductors. The car was so packed I was becoming close friends with some chick's really bad dye job (and I think I drank a few strands in my morning coffee- gross I know but I needed to prove my point). I closed my eyes and imagined I was one with the pole, swaying in the wind on some desolate island, instead of swaying with the subway car bumping into people. I focused on my breathing- particularly my mouth breathing (for the love of all that is holy what the fuck do some of these people roll around in?!). I was trying to channel a serious sinus attack, imitating a greasy Guido in a really cheesy club- anything to help me breathe normally through my mouth. I messed up a few times and those small whiffs were enough to bring tears to my eyes. It was a very long and painful commute this morning to say the least.



It's really interesting how once you give up being angry, the world around you is quite amusing.

2 comments:

kolls said...

Heyyyyy, I'm wearing pink today and trying to give up anger too! My mantra is "loving kindness" - I guess it's working even if I say it through gritted teeth?

Eastcoastdweller said...

One with the pole -- hilarious!