Sunday, September 30, 2007

No Standing.

More fun outings for Erin and I in the big bad city. This time, we went to downtown Brooklyn. The subway attendant told me, in his Brooklyn accent, he hates when people ask for directions (which isnt that your job?!) especially because today is Sunday but nonetheless, he pointed us in the direction of downtown Brooklyn. Which was quite handy (If you need to know, its the Atlantic/Pacific stop on the N). Today was the Atlantic Attic, which is a street fair that happens once a year. yippee for me. I hate crowds and I hate fairs.
Then we took a side street in order to smoke (is it just me or do I feel like a felon for smoking in this city?) and I decided to be a dumbass and ask the cops in their lil NYPD van what the hell "No Standing" means (see picture).



I really thought I was going to get arrest for standing on the corner, smoking my cigarette (also, is it just me, or does standing on the corner seem dirty to you?). They looked at me like I was the little naive tourista that I am and laughed (which is a lot better than the response I got from the cop in Time Square about trying to find a map- picture Christina Yang as a cop). Apparently cars can "stand" when someone is like waiting? And those signs are there telling drivers they can't. YaY! For learning something new at the expense of my intelligence, especially because these two cops were hot. Like, Im talking hotter than the French cops in Paris. WITH a brooklyn accent. It's a shame I'm such retard because I should have gotten their numbers and I should be partying with them tonight, but instead Erin and I are going to venture somewhere to find even hotter guys to buy us drinks.

Which leads me to another thing. What is up with these northerners? Every time I talk to one of them, they don't seem interested in anything I'm saying. I know that northerners are not as nice as southerners and all that. . . but I guess I just figured that only extended to not saying "How's ya mom-n-em" to your neighbors (who btw do not speak english and I don't even want to know how you say that in spanish). The cops looked bored to the point of almost annoyed with answers in my question (which I did in my very cute Abby voice, btw, which, btw is a shoe-in for getting my way! dammit.) I don't know. Maybe they were tired of answering dumb questions, but I asked mine with flare!

oh well. Day 2 almost down. I'm still alive and Im sucking it up.

1 comments:

Eastcoastdweller said...

Ah, those northerners. Something about big cities and bitter winters makes people clam up and seem quite rude.

The South has its own problems, but I love the casual friendliness here.